If you want to hand-feed a baby bird for the first time, you need to know some instructions before hand feeding a baby bird or parrot. You can also get training practically by a breeder or any other professional. It will be very helpful before starting it to your own bird.
Hand feeding baby birds:
- Always wash your hands before hand-feed a baby bird.
- Wash all utensils you will use in hand feed.
- For best results, always use a commercial hand-feed formula. It will complete all the nutrition needs of pet birds. Follow the package instructions, include the amount of water and dry mash to prepare the formula.
- Fresh hand-feed formula should be prepare before hand-feeding. Don’t use a leftover formula rather than waste it.
- Serve formula to baby parrots when it is at the ideal temperature. It lies from 102 to 106 F.
- (38 to 41o degree Celsius). Use a thermometer to measure the temperature.
- Mix the hand feed formula in the boiled water. Don’t use a microwave to heat food, it can cause to develop hot-spots that can burn the parrot baby crops.
- Place the towel on the surface to prevent heat loss and to grip their feet.
- You can use different hand-feeding utensils like a syringe, spoon, feeding tube, etc. I will recommend you use a syringe for it.
- Seize the bird’s head from the back of the neck lightly and steadying the lower beak with a finger or thumb.
- Put feeding pipe or utensils from the right side of the beak towards the left side, and press the syringe slightly. The crop (inner skin like a pouch) is located on the right side of the bird that stores the food. After every feeding cleans the baby beak with tissue paper.
- The frequency and feeding quantity depend on the age of the chick. Read the information table chart given below. Feed the baby when his/her crop is empty once a day.
- Weigh your bird daily before and after hand-feed and note it. If your parrot baby starts losing weight, then it might be sick or have any problem. You need to consult your vet.
|Age of baby (day)||Feeding Time||Quantity||Brooder Temperature|
|1-5||After every 2 hours||1-2 cc’s||35.5o– 36.5oC|
|6-9||3 hours||3-4 cc’s||33.5o– 35.5oC|
|10-14||5 hours||5-6 cc’s||31.5o– 33.5oC|
|15-21||7:00 am, 1:00 pm, |
7: 00 pm ,12:00 pm
|7-9 cc’s||30o– 31oC|
|22-35||7:00 am, 4:00 pm, 11:00pm||10-15 cc’s||27o– 29.5oC|
|35+||7:00 am , 11:00 pm||13-15 cc’s||29o– 27oC|
At the age of a month, put the bird babies in a cage with down perches. Place the water in a bowl and keep soft-food on the floor. Give a variety of foods like fruits and vegetables.
5 to 6 weeks: Bird will start to eat own. At this stage, give him hand-feed twice a day.
7 weeks: Give hand-feed once a day. The bird should not be weaned before 8 weeks. Keep the eyes to a bird that he/she is eating well. Also, determine the fullness of the crop. Weaning birds normally lose 10% of their weight.
Read Next: Budgies Birds Full Information