You may need to know about candling eggs if you are a farmer or bird breeder. Birds lay eggs and incubate them.
Unfortunately, In some cases, the eggs do not hatch, due to different reasons. You can diagnose the egg by this method.
Egg candling means to look inside of a developing egg. The name egg candling implies, originally it was done with a candle.
Nowadays, the candling egg is done by a bright light.
Candling egg is done in the dark or at night. Birds egg candling gives you an idea or suggestions that the embryo is developing well.
How to candle an Egg:
- Always wash your hands before egg candling. There is a chance to conduct bacteria onto the egg.
- Try to candle an egg on a soft surface. If the egg accidentally drops, there will be less chance of crashing the egg.
- Don’t put eggs on the flashlight for too long because the torch gets hot soon. Just see the condition of the egg from inside.
- Lift the egg comfortably and don’t move too much.
- Keep the eggs outside the incubator only for as long as it takes to candle them.
When to candle:
Egg candling is performed on Day 7. You can observe which eggs are growing into embryos at this stage. Marks those eggs that are not developed yet.
On Day 10, candle those eggs which you have marked. If still there are no signs of developing then take them out.
Before “lockdown” the incubator on Day 17, you need to clear all eggs are developing well. If any of the egg is showing ‘embryo has died then take this egg out.
Read more about Egg candling
What You See:
Spot the “Winners”
Fertilized eggs are also named winners. In these eggs, embryos have successfully developed. It can be identified by a visible network of blood vessels. The dark outline at the center of vessels, which may move slightly is the embryo.
Spot the “Quitters”
Quitter is the egg that has stopped the developing embryo during incubation. In these eggs, you see a red ring around the yolk. Take these eggs out from the incubator and throw them away.
If the embryo inside the egg is dead. There may be different reasons for DIS- Dead In Shell, which depend on the age of the embryo. It seems dark grey.
Spot the “Yorkers”
Yorkers are eggs that are not developed into an embryo. A yorker egg can never be fertile, it has no chance of developing an embryo. The shell of the undeveloped or unfertile egg will remain dull pink.
Register your remarks in a notebook, tallying each egg. If you are suspicious about any egg then put it back in the incubator and mark it on it.
Note: Don’t use a candle to candling the eggs. The main problem of using a candle is that they are ambiguous and very hot. So, it is not suitable for modern hatching.
For the embryo, the eggshell provides a safe and protected environment. If the eggshell is crack accidentally then you need to repair it.
You can use different things for egg repairings, such as nail polish, glue, and scotch tape.
- If the eggshell is damaged in the first week, and fluid is leaking, it cannot be repaired.
- While the damage to the shell in the last week of hatching can be repaired and save.
Read related: Egg Binding in Birds